Books of Interest
Looking for a good weekend read? Wondering what to give to your American-born aunt of Dutch descent? The list below suggests some current and past titles for those interested in exploring the Dutch-American experience, as well as some aspects of Dutch culture. All the books are in English and are generally available through Amazon or other web sites. For Books-of-Interest, click here.
Want a unique way to support the NAF? Purchase these or ANY books through the NAF-Amazon hot links (click on titles), and modest revenue will accrue to the NAF: Save money, support a good cause and enjoy a good book!
Do you have a few good titles to add? We welcome suggestions, with a brief description of the books’ contents. We will update the list periodically. Please contact booksofinterest@theNAF.org.
ON TO THE BOOKS…
American-Dutch History (17th and 18th century)
American-Dutch History (19th and 20th century)
Culture, Education, Art & Art History and Architecture
History of the Dutch Republic, Overseas Expansion & “Golden Age”
Dutch Economic, Commercial & Financial History
(Auto)biographies & Memoirs
Books by NAF Members
Fiction and Historic Fiction
Disclaimer: We do not necessarily endorse the contents of these books.
TOP TEN TITLES
Ten titles that capture much of 400 years of U.S. – Dutch relations —from the Dutch Revolt (which may have inspired other revolutions), the founding of and life in New Netherland, Dutch participation in the financing of the American revolution, to America’s welcoming of Dutch immigrants and America’s role in the liberation of the Netherlands in 1944.
• The Island in the Center of the World, 2004, Russell Shorto.
• A Description of New Netherland, 1655, reissued 2008, Adriaen van der Donck.
• The Dutch Republic and American Independence, 1982, Jan Willem Schulte Nordholt.
• A Bridge Too Far, 1974, Cornelius Ryan.
• Holland Mania—The Unknown Dutch Period in American Art and Culture, 1998, Annette Stott.
• The Dutch Republic–Its Rise, Greatness and Fall 1477-1806, 1995, Jonathan Israel.
• The First Modern Economy—Success, Failure, and Perseverance of the Dutch Economy 1500-1815, 1997, Jan de Vries & Ad van der Woude.
• The Embarrassment of Riches—An Interpretation of Dutch Culture in the Golden Age, 1987, Simon Schama.
• The Colony of New Netherland–A Dutch Settlement in Seventeenth Century America, 2009, Jaap Jacobs.
• The Americanization of Edward Bok: The Autobiography of a Dutch Boy Fifty Years Later, 1924, Edward W. Bok.
• Dutch New York — The Roots of Hudson Valley Culture, 2009, Roger Panetta (ed.).