Date(s) - 08/25/2017
12:00 am - 12:15 am
Dear NAF Netherlands community members,
Since 2017 began, we noticed an increased interest by our Dutch constituents in United States politics as Washington D.C. begins to take shape under the Trump Administration. Judging by the attendance of NAF events organized to evaluate the first 100 days, we see that interest in this pertinent topic is strong. While the political climate in Washington D.C. continues to evolve, we realize our mission is as relevant as ever: to enhance mutual understanding between countries while building upon a long-standing relationship focused on bilateral opportunities.
Recently Mr. Pete Hoekstra‘s appointment as U.S. ambassador to the Netherlands was announced. Mr. Hoekstra was a U.S. Congressman for 18 years, and has been a member of the NAF Board and Executive Committee for over a decade. Mr. Hoekstra’s Dutch roots and interest in Dutch-American relations place him in a strategic position to strengthen the ties between our peoples.
This spring, the NAF Netherlands Chapter Board underwent a series of strategic visioning sessions to solidify our goals and map out a growing program of activities in the Netherlands for our NAF community. We look forward to keeping you apprised of our events and remain highly interested in your views and suggestions in response to our initiatives.
During the first half of 2017, the NAF Netherlands community continued to thrive and grow, evidenced by the events held and participant turnout.
– The annual NAF Connection Event to honor the American NAF-Fulbright fellows studying in the Netherlands was held on March 10, 2017, at Mediamatic ETEN in Amsterdam was a fun, relaxed and convivial evening by all accounts! Click here for photos.
– The NAF Friends Funds 501(c)(3) program, helping Dutch cultural and educational institutions raise funds in the U.S., was expanded further with the Frans Hals Museum, Vereniging Rembrandt, the Leo Smit Foundation, the PLN Genetic Heart Decease Foundation, the International Advertising and Design Database, and the University of Twente.
– The NAF launched another educational program: The Dekker-Padget Dutch2USA Internship Program. Endowed by Jacob Gelt Dekker and John Pagdet, executed by the NAF and the Fulbright Center in cooperation with The Giving Back Foundation, this program will support Dutch minority students in financial need to do an internship in the United States. Read more here.
– Four Dutch students took off to the United States capital in early June to participate in the NAF DC Internship Program. Read more here.
– Finally, a new cohort of 15 NAF-Fulbright Fellows has been selected in both the Netherlands and the United States to take their academic residencies across the Atlantic ocean beginning Fall 2017. We look forward to welcome them at a special event at the Frans Hals Museum in Haarlem on 22nd September 2017. Click here for details.
Looking ahead, the NAF NL Alumni Committee and the NAF-Biz NL Committee are arranging an eclectic calendar of related Dutch-American engagements during the second half of 2017.
Upcoming Events Fall 2017
NAF Friends Fund: Special Event at the Frans Hals Museum for the Opening of “A Global Table”
Friday September 22, 2017, 16:00 – 18:00
Frans Hals Museum, Haarlem
In 2017, the Frans Hals Museum in Haarlem signed a Friends Fund Agreement with the NAF. This will allow donors in the U.S. to make tax deductible contributions to the Museum. The Frans Hals Museum is renowned for its collection of painting of Dutch Masters of the Golden Age centered around Frans Hals, one of the three best-known painters of the era. On September 22, NAF members and supporters in The Netherlands will have the unique opportunity to view the exhibition “A Global Table” together with Museum’s Director, Ms. Ann Demeester, and with the curator of the exhibition, Ms. Abigail Winograd. Click here for futher details & sign-up.
At this event, you will have the opportunity to meet the NAF-Fulbright Fellows 2017/2018 and NAF Study Loan recipients, whom we will welcome to the Netherlands at this event. For an overview of the students, please click here.
NAF Washington DC Interns Welcome Back Event
Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 16:00 – 18:00
US Consulate General, Amsterdam
Four interns, currently participating in the 2017 Fund for American Studies Program at George Mason University with internships on Capitol Hill, will be welcomed back at the U.S. Consulate General. This event provides a rare opportunity to learn from the observations of the participants and exchange views on developments in Washington, DC. Space is limited at this event. Click here for further details & sign-up. Sign-up closes September 26, 2017.
NAF-Biz NL: Protecting Intellectual Property Rights in the U.S.
Wednesday, November 1, 2017, 16:00 – 18:00
Walt Disney Corporation’s Benelux Headquarters, Hoofddorp
In recent years, the number of Dutch companies which have expanded in the U.S. market has increased. In turn, Many Dutch companies have acclimated to understand and protect intellectual property rights. Tapping into expert knowledge within the NAF NL Community, NAF-Biz NL will organize a special event on 1 November, 2017, at Walt Disney Corporation’s Benelux headquarters in Hoofddorp. Further details and registration to come.
36th Peter Stuyvesant Ball – Celebrating in De Stijl
Piet Mondrian, Composition with Large Red Plane, Yellow, Black, Gray and Blue, 1921.
Courtesy of the Gemeentemuseum, The Hague.
Friday, November 17, 2017
Plaza Hotel in New York
On Friday November 17, 2017, the annual festive black tie event will again be held at the New York’s historic Plaza Hotel. Read more here. For NAF members based in the Netherlands, Jan Doets Reizen, known as Mister America [for 40 years] is offering a 5-day trip and a 6-day trip in conjunction with the Ball on the 17th.
Links of Interest
NAF-Biz NL draws your attention to a special contest organised by the RVO (Netherlands Enterprise Agency)
Xplore US 2017 – Your Bridge to the US Market
This contest is your ticket to Boston to explore the US market. Provided you are an SME or Scale-up with an innovative product or service and have what it takes to become successful in the US. Ten winning companies will take part in a ten-day accelerator program in the U.S. by MIT spin-off kTeams.
Support the NAF!
Click here to join the NAF or renew your membership.
NAF NL members enjoy:
- Special access to NAF-sponsored cultural events including private tours of art exhibitions, limited free tickets to performances and book presentations in the Netherlands
- Member discounts to NAF-Biz networking, social and cultural events throughout the NAF chapter network in the U.S. and the Netherlands
- Invitations to special events including: Princess Christina Concours Concerts in Los Angeles and San Francisco, NAF Ambassadors’ Awards Dinner in Washington, DC, Peter Stuyvesant Ball in New York and Dutch American Heritage Day Gala in Los Angeles
- Listing of your name and membership level in the NAF Annual Review
- Access to the Foundation’s network of Dutch and American leaders and experts
- Contributions are tax deductible under Dutch law.
On behalf of the NAF NL Board, NAF-Biz NL Committee and NAF Alumni Committee, we thank you for your interest and support. We look forward to sharing developments with you again soon via newsletter and encourage you to join us during our roster of events in 2017.
Merijn Boender, Chair