Date(s) - 05/27/2015
12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
On 27 May 2015, the Fulbright Center in the Netherlands held its annual Award Ceremony to honor those Dutch academics who have been selected to study or conduct research in the United States of America during the 2015-2016 academic year.
The Fulbright Center and the related Netherlands America Commission for Educational Exchange (NACEE) have been partners of the NAF since 1972. The Center is a bi-national, non-profit organization established by international agreement between the United States of America and the Kingdom of The Netherlands. It promotes educational cooperation by administering educational exchange programs between the two countries, such as the Fulbright Program, and provides information on study, research and internships in the United States.
The Fulbright Award Ceremony has been held for many years now, giving the Fulbright researchers and students a warm send-off to the States. A change in format this year, however, was the introduction of a panel discussion with representatives of some of the key sponsors of the Fulbright program in the Netherlands, namely Mrs. Esmée Paques of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (4 fellowships), Mrs. Karin Doeksen (HAFF, 5 fellowships), Mr. Michiel Kolman, SVP Global Academic Relations of Elsevier (2 fellowships) and Mr. Merijn Boender who was our representative of the NAF, the biggest Fulbright Center sponsor (16 awards for the academic year 2015-2016). A total of over 430 fellowships were funded in its nearly 100 year history.
Among those the NAF features prominently, alongside organizations such as the Holland America Friendship Foundation, the Netherlands Fulbright Alumni Association, the Free University of Amsterdam and Erasmus University Rotterdam.
At the reception afterwards, many of the NAF-fellowship awardees present expressed their gratitude to the NAF and its supporters for their generosity. Standing out among them was Ms. Evelien van Kampen of the Leiden University, first recipient of the Special NAF-KIKA grant to research child cancer at the University of California – San Francisco. Funds were raised by runners participating in the New York City Marathon.
List of NAF awardees 2015-2016:
Dutch NAF-Fulbright fellows to study in the U.S.A.
- Mr. R.J. Donkersloot, Law, Universiteit Leiden to University of Virginia
- Mr. C.A. Gerrits, International Relations, Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen to John Hopkins University SAIS
- Mr. S. Klompmaker, Medical Sciences, Universiteit Maastricht to Harvard University
- Mr. K. van Laarhoven, Journalism, Universiteit van Amsterdam to New York University
- Mr. B.I. Sijtsma, Law, Universiteit van Amsterdam to New York University
- Ms. J.R. Terpstra, Business, Hogeschool INHolland to Hult International Business School
- Ms. D.R.M. Venhoeven, Nutrition, Universiteit Utrecht to Tufts University
- Ms. I.S. Zwart, History, University College Roosevelt to Brown University
- Ms. E.E.M. van Kampen, Biopharmaceutical Sciences, Universiteit Leiden to University of California – San Francisco
American NAF-Fulbright fellows to study in the Netherlands:
- Ms. M.R. Cain, Water Management, Pennsylvania State University to Technische Universiteit Delft
- Mr. M.S. Goodsmith, Chemistry, Amherst College to Technische Universiteit Eindhoven
- Ms. N.D. Hengstebeck, Sociology, University of North Carolina – Greensboro to Erasmus Universiteit
- Mr. J.W. Hogan, Water Management, University of California Los Angeles to Technische Universiteit Delft
- Mr. M.P. Spindler, Medical Sciences, Mount Sinai School of Medicine to Universiteit Leiden
- Mr. W.C. Wertjes, Chemistry, St. Olaf College to Rijksuniversiteit Groningen
- Mr. M.R. Ykema, Biology, Arizona State University to Universiteit van Amsterdam